November 22, 2008

Don't Flatter Me

I really don't respond well to people that tell me I'm good at something. I'll always eventually get red in the face and do this thing where I bring my hand/fingers up by my mouth. I don't know why... I think it's because I feel like I'm covering my face. (It's the sort of thing the "Effed up leprechaun situations" guy from SNL does, just not as extreme)

Anyways, the reason I write this is because it happened to me on yesterday and today.

Yesterday, I was in Spanish class and we were doing a review worksheet. Everyone was working on it and I had finished in less time than everyone else (not by too much, i don't think).
Well, my teacher came up to me because I had started on some math homework and asked "Are you finished".
"Yes," I said.
And then me teacher told me, "I need to find something challenging for you."
I had no idea how to respond, so I just smiled...

I don't know how to respond in those situations, especially when they happen around other people. I don't want to seem like the "oh-he's-some-much-better-than-everyone-else guy" because I'm not, and I don't like people who are like that.

The same type of situation happened again today.

I was at my school's show, and we had incorporated video production into the play for some scene changes where there were voiceovers. I had designed and edited the video by myself, I just had some help with the filming. The whole cast and crew always do a warm-up before the show and our director gives a little speech.

It was a pretty long speech because it was closing night and the show had come a long way. Then he pointed me out and was like, "I'd like to recognize Justin. Because, although I know all of you work hard and are independent, I gave Justin no guidance, I sat him down and told him my crazy ideas for the videos and he went and did it."

This made me so embarrassed/flattered. Everyone was looking at me, and I started to do the little hand thingy, and I just laughed. I wasn't that special; many more people had worked harder on the show than I had. And then everyone clapped for me which was the end of it. One of my friends (pretty much all of them are my friends) gave me hug and I said "I'm going to use you to hide my face."

So.... moral of the story: Don't point me out in front of people and flatter me.

kthxbai

On another note...
I had a freaking awesome time tonight; I love my friends so much. I wouldn't be who I am without them. Here's a little picture of what might have happened at the cast/crew party after the show...

The blonde Sarah Palin?

No comments: