February 21, 2011

Can you hear me now?

Listen to what's around you.

Do you have any idea what is going on in your brain, in your ears, in the air in order for you to hear what you hear? So much is going on!

In my Communication Disorders class we recently started the Audiology Unit and I have just been fascinated by the things I'm learning. Did you know that the smallest bones in the human body are found in your ears? Do you know why those bones are there?

The ingenuity that a person would need to have to come up with such a mechanism as the human ear is incomprehensible. I'm sure it's not even doable. No human could have ever come up with a structure so brilliantly designed and elaborately laid out.

Did you know that little tiny "trapdoors" in hairs in your inner ear transform mechanical energy into electrical energy by allowing ions to pass through into the negative-ion-filled inner hairs? Neither did I!

The workings of the human body are so incredible. So magnificent. So unfathomable. I can't even begin to think of all the different reactions, neural firings, or cellular growth that is happening in my body right now. And to think that our body just does it. We don't even need to think about it. This just puts me in a stupor.

To waste your body away, to not take care of it, to abuse this wonderful gift you've been given would be so ignorantly stupid.

So why do we do it? I guess we just need some sense knocked into our heads.